Salzburg in the cold

Last Sunday the family I’m staying with was extraordinarily nice and took me on a trip to Salzburg. I had a great time even though it was bitterly cold.

There is so much to see in Salzburg. I think to see it all would take a few days. It’s not a large city with just under 150,000 (though I’m sure this doubles during tourist season). It is full of old baroque architecture that is beautiful especially when covered in snow.

We went on a Sunday afternoon to go see the castle on top of the hill otherwise known as the Festung Hohensalzburg.

To get there we rode this 45 degree tram/train (Festungsbahn) to the top.

On top of the castle was an incredible view of the city and the Austrian alps.

Inside was filled with historical items. If you like WWI history, Austro-Hungarian history, or just history in general this is definitely the place to go. There where many things inside that I had never seen before or even heard of. Being a musician I was very interested in the instrument display. Inside they had the standard clarinets, bassoons etc.. but they also had this very strange brass instrument called the serpent which I hadn’t ever seen. The torture masks and the hatchet gun where also very strange.

Afterwards we wandered into Getreidegasse. It looked like it would be a great place to shop if it were warmer. We happened upon Mozart’s Geburtshaus. Then we went to the Mozart cafe had some Austrian coffee and walked back to the old church (Salzburger Dom) but unfortunately it had already closed for the night.

If you are thinking of visiting Salzburg I would recommend it. I’m definitely going to give it a second look before I head back to the states.

Sorry only a few pictures I’ve reached my storage limit.