For Once I Am Speechless-Incredible Day!

Today was one of the best days since arriving in Italy. I can definitely say this was a productive day. We began with completing the Abramovic Method, then going inside the Duomo, and then going on top of the Duomo to see the beautiful city of Milan. Not only did I gain a lot of knowledge but it was an emotional filled day.  I enjoyed meeting our new instructor, Monica and can’t wait to see what she has in store for us next week.

The artist Marina Abramovic was the first exhibition we went to today. She was a very interesting person and told how she put her life into every piece of artwork she completed. Time is of the essence is her view in her art.  I do not feel this is common with other artist whereas their pieces are usually a picture, painting, object but not their self in his or her work. I feel she has transformed the way I look at art and how it is made. By asking people to experience her art and not just seeing it. Today we completed the Abramovic method by meditating for 30 minutes in each station.  As odd as this may sound I cannot describe my experience.  It was too personal and rather spiritual.  It took so much energy from me but was very rewarding.  This experience was incredible and will never be forgotten. It will probably be the last time I will actually be the artwork but I am grateful I had the opportunity to EXPERIENCE it.

Before going into the Duomo, we had speakers so we could hear Monica’s (Our instructor) voice. She is a very educated women and it was so interesting being able to hear about the inside and outside of the Duomo. This was also an experience that I will never forget because she not only explained the history of the Duomo but the hidden facts that I would have never known just by going into this Cathedral. I thought that the sundial was really cool and how they could not only tell time but what month and season it was of the year. I was very impressed by the paintings, stain glass and sculptures.

Last but not least was going on top the Duomo. This was an incredible view that was absolutely breath taking. I never knew how beautiful the city of Milan was until looking over the city and seeing the majestic mountains in the background. Although we were on top of the cathedral and had detailed sculptures and architecture around us, this was a very humbling experience.

I am not sure why today has been so incredible.  Perhaps the “Experience” at Marina Abramovic set the tone for the visit to the Duomo.  Regardless it is a day I will never forget!

About Stephanie Lusk

I am a Special Education Major student at USC Upstate entering my junior year. I love the outdoors, adventure but honestly enjoy life no matter where I am or what I am doing. I am so blessed to spend Maymester in Milan, Italy where I want to experience the culture, art, food and beautiful countryside. Follow my blog and facebook to see my adventures! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150817221657336.407876.674417335&type=3
This entry was posted in Milan. Bookmark the permalink.