Week 2

On Monday, our group visited the Bagatti Valsecchi Mueseum. This was really interesting for me because there was plenty of antiquity in context, which holds my attention more than a regular museum. I prefer seeing art in a setting that suits it. In other words, a medieval triptych would be much more interesting to me in its original church than in some museum somewhere. It was comparable to the Biltmore estate, though while not as large, it was still the same concept. The audio guide we had was extremely helpful, as well.

Tuesday was our last day with Giulianna. We visited the Kartell museum. Kartell is a furniture company that specializes in plastic. It wasn’t really my thing, although it was cool to see the timeline of the company through its products. We discovered that Kartell was important because they had a lot of firsts in the furniture industry. They made the first plastic bucket and also the first polycarbonate chair. It was much further out of the city than everything else, so when we had to wait over an hour for the bus, we walked all over the place trying to find something to eat. We finally did and a few members of our group presented Giulianna with a card from all of us and a couple of gifts from two of our group.

Wednesday was our first day with Monica. Our day started off with a bang when we became a part of one of Marina Abramović’s pieces. Marina Abramović is a famous performance artist whose work you may know, but whose name you may not. The performance involved the group wearing lab coats and standing, sitting or lying down. The “furniture” was extremely uncomfortable, which I believe was the point of the “experiment”. Later that day, we finally got to go inside the Duomo, which we’d seen the outside of about a bajillion times since we’ve been here. At this point, so many of the churches are starting to blend together, so what really made this stick out was that we were able to go onto the rooftop terrace. It was really beautiful. If you looked on one side you could see the Alps. If you looked on the other side, you could see the Apennines. It was a view that made you feel tiny and insignificant as an individual. We stayed up there for quite a while, despite the wind.

Thursday, we took the metro the farthest we ever have and ended up in the Lambrate area of Milan which is apparently an up and coming area for designers and artists. The first gallery was mostly contemporary conceptual art,which is not really my thing. The second gallery was mostly empty, which we knew, but it was really just mainly a tour of the facility. The last gallery had more “marketable” art, which I ended up liking more than the first gallery. I just found most of it much more interesting.

After that, we were free for the weekend. We’ll have to see how that goes!

This entry was posted in Italian Art, Milan, Modern Italy. Bookmark the permalink.