Lake Como

Today, I visited Lake Como (or Como di Lago in Italian) with Ashley, Morgan and Aubrey. It was so much fun and the scenery was absolutely beautiful. We were a little worried at first because the weather was sort of chilly, but it ended up not being too bad. We got off to a bit of a rough start when I woke up and realized that my alarm never went off. I was really glad that I’d packed everything I needed and picked out my clothes the night before, or else I would have had a problem on my hands. Luckily, we made it to the station in plenty of time to catch the train, as we didn’t have to ride the metro all the way to Central Station. We only needed to stop at Cadorna Station, which is only about four stops from the apartments. We realized once we were on the train that a trip by car would have actually been much quicker. Our train ended up stopping about every 5 to 7 minutes in these tiny towns. The city of Como itself is much more bustling than I imagined, which in retrospect, shouldn’t have surprised me all that much. It was full of tourists, not that we have much room to talk. We all agreed there wasn’t much to really do on the lake unless you had a home there or were at least staying a night or two, especially during the chillier weather. We ended up eating lunch out of a food cart, which was surprisingly good. We then decided to take a boat tour. It was about 35 minutes long. The tour was in Italian, but we were able to understand “George Clooney” when we passed his lake house, which was pretty neat. We also became the unofficial guardians of a little boy’s balloon for the duration of the tour, which was completely worth it hen he said “ciao!” to us. Honestly, I think the toddlers are even more adorable here. Afterwards, even though the sun didn’t really come out, we decided to lie out in the sun for a bit. All of us but Aubrey dozed off for about 20 minutes. Sleeping was made more difficult by the fact that from literally the entire time we stepped off the boat to the time we made it to the train station, there was some guy dancing to house music for money about 200 feet from where we were sleeping. It was amusing and annoying at the same time. Eventually it started to rain on us and since the train comes at 17 after hour, we were barely able to run and make it to the 3:17 train. I was glad we did because the weather didn’t really clear up much after that, but it was a lot of fun, and despite the weather, was some of the best scenery I’ve ever seen.

This entry was posted in Culture, Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.