I feel like home…

I want to talk about my personal experience here in Italy. I have to admit that I have liked it so much that I have contemplated the idea of living here. There have been times where I have allowed the experience to absorb me to the extreme in order to feel what it is like to be a part of the culture, I always do it when I travel to a different country, and i highly recommend you do it as well. I watch TV in Italian, already made some Italian friends, I try my best to understand the language and to speak it. It is really interesting and not so difficult in my case, and since I also speak Spanish it has just been perfecto! Just make sure you learn the basic before you come and the rest will slowly come to you as you go. Some of the things that I am definitely going to miss are riding on the train, the bus, public transportation in general. The vibe of being in a big city, peak hour, the people, the food. It is going to be sad to leave this place for sure. One of the things that helps a lot while moving around the cities here, is that the train system has been designed in a very simple way for the user to figure out. Make sure you carry your map everywhere you go, not only for reasons of getting lost or separated from the group, but to always have a sense of location, where you are and how to locate the main sites around a city and/or a place of your interest. If you are an ice cream lover, you will definitely love Italy, most of the Gelato places stay open passed midnight. It is pretty common to see people walking their dog down the street with a cup of gelato at 1 am. In my case, i think that i have eaten gelato every day.

Also have in mind that “aperitivo” is the italian way to eat dinner. It usually starts at 6:30 pm and it runs until 11 to midnight. It consists of a buffet, of course the options vary according to the restaurant but you will always find pasta. The idea is that you pay for one alcoholic drink, which runs from 10 to 15 euro, and you can eat all you want. That is aperitivo. People eat dinner considerably late compared to what we are used to in the States side. It is normal for ┬ásomeone to be sitting down and eat dinner at a restaurant at 10:30, 11:00 pm. It is all a matter of getting used to it, after a while it becomes natural.

Enjoy !

About Brandon L'opera

Graphic Design Major student, fascinated by art, by how we create our own happiness in the search of new experiences and knowledge. I see this study abroad as one of those concepts. I am happy to be here and to have the opportunity to share this experience with others. Follow my posts and experience with me this amazing trip to ITALY. Grazie !
This entry was posted in Milan. Bookmark the permalink.