Final Thoughts

This trip has been absolutely life changing, in the best possible way. Since I’ve been here I’ve made friends that I most likely would have not made otherwise. We all have this bond of having traveled to a foreign country and only having ourselves and each other to rely on, and that’s something that’s hard to emulate. I’ve realized that it really is a small world, after all. We’ve met plenty of people from South Carolina, which is really strange, and comforting at the same time. I’ve also learned that it’s a big world as well. There are so many people in the world that are different from you. They have different backgrounds. Different hopes, dreams and lives. I also learned that my problems really are significant when it comes to the grand scheme of things. We don’t have the same level of poverty, at least in South Carolina, as what we saw in Milan, (which still isn’t much, but still, seeing it just on the steps of the metro is a culture shock compared to where we’re from.) It’s strange being in Italy and checking your email or going on Facebook and seeing someone else talk about their little problems, when you realize you’re halfway across the world and there are so many important things going on. Italy doesn’t even have a political government at the moment, and in America, we’re worried about whether or not to legalize gay marriage. It just shows you a totally different side of the world, literally. If I’d known what this trip would have given me in terms of life experience, I wouldn’t have worried so much about the stress of getting my passport or making sure I had the right power adapter. You have to learn that the world is so much bigger than you and the circle of people you associate yourself with back at home. In Florence I learned that as Americans, we’re really lucky to have a language that is spoken by so many across the world. I don’t know what I would have done, had that not been the case. In a way, it affords us a sense of entitlement that many times, we take advantage of without really thinking about before we utilize it. Looking back on this trip, I just know I’m happy to have been a part of it and wouldn’t have shared it it with anyone else than those who I shared it with. It’s been a blast.

This entry was posted in Culture, Milan, Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.