First 100 days in Germany – Landshut through the American Eye

Article taken from E-MAGAZIN FAKULTÄT BETRIEBSWIRTSCHAFT (E-Magazine Faculty of Business Administration) in Landshut, Germany.

Before coming to Landshut I did my own research on the town and German culture. My first impression of the town was a positive one! Beautiful buildings and people everywhere! Eating outside at the Cafes and a bakery or two on every block! The smells of fresh bread and sizzling Döner were incredible! People would stare at our group of foreigners as we walked down the streets of Altstadt; they quickly caught on to our culture shock. We have encountered many of our own problems here, such as missing the bus, getting in trouble for not recycling correctly, and not knowing how to dress accordingly with the weather! It is starting to get colder and we are not ready! But I think the hardest part of living here so far would have to be the language. German is very difficult and sometimes we struggle with communicating with people in town. But that’s part of the experience of studying in another country, making an effort and not taking it personally when you look silly. Letting go of fear has been a big thing for me here. Our first day of class we walked the halls of the Hochschule for the first time. The school was very nice and the professors greeted us with a warm welcome! We have been here for about 3 months now and we are learning something new every day, even our German is coming along. I am very happy with my decision to study abroad in Landshut because not only am I acquiring knowledge about a new culture through experiences, but I am also learning about myself. I’m growing as a business professional as well as a person. – Stephanie Vera

Studying abroad in Landshut, Germany is the opportunity of a lifetime and, I am living my dream. Coming from a single parent home, I could have never imagined having this opportunity. This is my first time being out of the country for an extended period of time and, I am not experiencing any moments of homesickness. From the very first day in Germany, I felt welcomed and at home. Everyone here is like family. During the first weeks here we had orientation. We were given vital information pertinent to our success and wellbeing. Initially, I thought that my interaction would be limited to other American students. Because of how orientation was organized, it proved to be a great experience. Students from different nationalities were brought together in order for us to become familiar with each other. As a result of this, I have begun to build relationships with students from Romania, France, Spain, Germany, Finland, Jordan, and so many more places. I believe that meeting people from different cultures help to expand your horizon while, encouraging you to step out of your comfort zone. The relationships that were developed from the orientation extended beyond school based activities. We took it a step further with simple things like; having dinner and traveling together. In the short two months here, I have visited Salzburg, Austria and Prague in the Czech Republic. Prior to being in Germany, Hochschule Landshut also has an awesome academic program. The curriculum is different from what we are used to and the class sessions are a bit longer but, not all change is bad. It makes things interesting. I love that fact that homework isn’t mandatory and tests aren’t given throughout the semester. This challenges you to apply yourself and make sure that you stay on top of your assignments. Some of my favorite things that I have seen in Germany are the castles and the interesting architecture of the buildings. I enjoy taking walks through Altstadt just to observe its structure. I would encourage anyone that has the opportunity to study abroad to take it. This is the best thing I have done for myself in my 21 years of life. The time is going by quickly and I can see myself moving to a different country one day. It is said that all good things must come to an end, but this is definitely a chapter in my life that I do not look forward to closing. – JaVonna Alexander

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.