Upcoming & recorded professional development opportunities. An invitation to hear students’ voices at this year’s USC Upstate Research Symposium. And reminders of how OSL/CE supports officially designated SL, SE, & CE courses.
SL/CE Course Showcase
Friday, 4/1; CLC 309; Lunch @ 11:45, Sessions @ 12. Check out the related blog post!
Come hear stories from your colleagues in a TEDx style format and celebrate SL/CE at Upstate.
SL/CE @ the Upstate Research Symposium.
Friday 4/8 @ 3:15 in CLC 103 (time & location subject to change, please confirm on the final Symposium schedule).
Come hear student voices talking about their community engaged research & their service learning experiences at the Upstate Symposium on April 8th at 3:15 in CLC 103 (time and location subject to change). We’ll start with two papers discussing perceptions of dialect prejudice in social and educational settings, then we’ll have a panel of students talking about Serving for the Grade & So Much More.
- SL/CE Roundtable : Ginny Webb, Michele Covington, & Tasha Thomas (Feb 2022)
If you missed the our SL/CE Panel discussion in February, we’ve got good news for you. Recordings are now available on the Serving Upstate YouTube channel.
Discussion topics include:
- SL/CE & Retention: What the research says (Jan 2022)
- January blog post with lots of references
- Public Scholarship & SL/CE (Nov 2021)
Recorded session in collaboration with SARS
- Mary-Beth Lima Workshop on Community Engaged Scholarship (Jan 2021)
10 video segments broken up thematically, so you can choose what interests you
SUPPORTING SL/CE COURSES
Here are some of the ways we support formal designated Service Learning (SL), Service Engagement (SE), & Community Engagement (CE):
- New Course Designation
- Individual consultation & customized templates streamline your application
- SL/CE SLOs based on National Association of Colleges and Employers
- SLO assessment instruction templates
- Suggested Syllabus inserts
- Coffee & Conversation Program
OSL/CE in partnership with SODEXO will pay for any instructor in any SL/CE course to invite 1-4 of their students to coffee @ PerkUP! or lunch at the cafeteria. See the related blog post.
- Course Support funds
OSL/CE has limited funds to support SL/CE related course expenses in (supplies, printing, transportation, etc.). Funding for Service Learning courses may be approved up to $25/student and up to $10/student for Service Engagement courses.
- Service Awards
Curtailed due to COVID. We offered only one award in 2021 & will do the same in 2022. We hope to return to our full slate of award in 2023
- SL/CE Course Reallocation
We offered one award in 2021 and hope to find funding for future awards