In Fall, our first Engage Green instructor cohort led 238 General Education students to blend course content with contributing more than 700 hours serving with the Spartanburg Area Conservancy (see recap). We now invite our second cohort to join this fun and meaning-filled effort!
Engage Upstate, together with CAIFS and the Provost’s office, invites you to apply for a summer 3-day boot camp in July to prepare to include service in your GE course for Fall 2024.
Our primary focus will be on environmental stewardship, but we welcome faculty interested in bringing other types of service to their General Education classrooms.
Anticipated Bootcamp Dates: July 9-11Apply by March 1, 2023 for priority consideration
(alternative dates may be considered, please email Dave your requests)
- Boot Camp Purpose
Prepare interested instructors to incorporate 4 hours of service into an officially designated Service Engagement Gen Ed course section they will teach in Fall 2024 as part of a unified program across multiple disciplines with general theme of ecological goodness and conservation with Spartanburg Area Conservancy (SPACE).
- Service logistics
If you partner with SPACE, we manage all the service logistics for you
- 4 hours of service completed in two 2-hour events (which we’ll schedule in July)
- Transportation to the service site (<1 mile from campus)
- On-site orientation and training by SPACE staff
- All tools & supplies provided
Open to anyone teaching a General Education (or gateway) course in Fall 2024
$750 stipend paid at the conclusion of your course offering
3 Days; Face-to-Face
– Participation in Engage Green ’24 is open to folks who can’t attend the boot camp, but the $750 stipend is reserved for those who attend
In general, participants are expected to continue teaching their GE course as SE, serve as a mentor for others interested in making a similar switch, and to share their experiences in unit meetings, at the annual SL/CE showcase &/or at the Upstate Research Symposium
Your department/division chair and general education course coordinator (if applicable) will need to approve your application
- More details are posted on the application form (Estimated time to complete: 6-8 minutes)
– Live meetings July 9-11 (Tues – Thurs)
– Tue 9-2 (welcome, field trip to Chinquapin Greenway, discussion, & lunch with SPACE)
– Wed 9-12 (basics of environmental stewardship, exploration of SL/CE, strategizing & goal-setting)
– Wed 9-12 (more environmental stewardship on & off-campus, crafting assignments & syllabi)
- Team-, syllabus-, and community partner relationship- building
- Collaborative & mutual support, camaraderie, & strategizing sessions on how to best get our students out of the (physical or virtual) classroom and actively engaged in our greater community
- Awareness of Upstate’s campus-based initiatives regarding ecological conservation
- Walk away on Thursday with everything for fall completed & ready
- Leave energized and motivated to share with others
- Can I engage with a different community partner?
- Yes. We would love to expand Engage in Gen Ed to new partners. You can participate in all our boot camp activities and shift your focus from SPACE to the partner of your choice.
- If I choose my own partner, do I still need to focus on ecology?
- No. Any domain is welcome. Talk with Dave Marlow about how you would make a shift.
- If I choose my own partner, will you still handle all the logistics?
- Probably Not. We would love to expand into other domains of service that can support 100-200+ students every semester. If you have an idea for this, talk to Dave ASAP & we may expand our summer program to include two partners & our fall offering to provide logistics for both. For one-off projects, we will offer the same advice and support we offer any SL/CE offering, but we cannot offer the complete logistics package we have for Engage Green.
- I can’t come F2F in July. Can I still participate?
- Yes, BUT. We can work with you independently, share the resources with you, and and put you on the Engage Green Fall 2024 team, but the stipend is reserved for those who attend the workshop.